Engagement is the top metric on social media. Getting those likes, comments, and shares can be hard when there is so much competition for attention on social media. Many of us need help generating ideas for more engaging social media content. Luck for you, I have made a list of some of my favorites!
Consider the following ideas as places to start from. I like to write my social media content one month at a time because once I sit down and start writing, more ideas pop into my head and the writing gets easier! If you need more help with social media content, check out my video about social media calendaring here:
Ok, now to the social media content ideas for better engagement…
- Coupons, promos, and giveaways: These have to be at the top of the list because they stir up the most engagement. Remember, you do not have to break the bank to do this, even $5 off is still a discount. Most people sign up to follow a business on Facebook in the hopes of a discount, so give the people what they want.
- FAQs and answers: These work especially well on Google My Business. Think of a question you answer every week or even every day and write it down along with the answer. You can make an easy weekly post with one as an #FAQFriday.
- Favorite tool or resource: Share a link to your favorite online resource, tool available for sale, or other item you can’t live without that relates to your business.
- Old blog posts: pull out blog posts from more than 2 years ago and share them as a #TBT or Throw-back Thursday.
- Share behind the scenes: I share this one at every workshop but few people use it even though these can be the most engaging posts. Take a picture of your desk if you’re a service industry or a product when it is only half-way complete. You could share the view from your window or your vision board on the wall – anything that your customers wouldn’t see otherwise.
- Say thank you: These have been proven through research studies to be some of the top posts for engagement and they’re easy! Thank your fans and followers for something specific, like selling your 1,000th product or for helping you sponsor a non-profit event.
- Fun fact about you or your business: This is similar to behind the scenes, but think about something fun no one really knows about you or how you started your business and share. If you need ideas, think about your bucket list to get started.
- Share stats from your industry: Posts with data are especially popular on LinkedIn. The data you share might be fun or highly informative, but think of data that will spark an interest in your fans about your industry that they may not already know.
- Give a shout-out to a non-profit: Use the @tag and mention a non-profit that you love. Chances are, your fans love them, too.
- Talk about how you help: Many small businesses get started because they see a need or a way that they can help others in their niche or community. Talk about how your business gives back, helps, or addresses an issue.
There. That’s 10 solid ideas to get you started writing your next social media post plan with more engaging content. Once you add in posts for your monthly theme and your sales posts, you’ll fill up your calendar in no-time!